Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in the body and plays a key role in the maintenance and regeneration of your bones, cartilage, gut, skin, hair, nails, tendons and ligaments. As you can see, collagen is important for many things, but today we will discuss how collagen helps with the prevention of aging skin and wrinkles. While our bodies create collagen naturally, over time, the body’s production of this protein slows down. As a result, a person’s skin begins to lose some of its ability to bounce back into shape, a process that many call “elasticity”. As this occurs, wrinkles begin to form.
In fact, research shows that after age 20, we lose about 1% of our natural collagen each year.
Another cause of aging skin is the Reduction of Fibrillar Collagen which is a characteristic of chronologically aged skin and is enhanced in photodamage (the sun’s UV). Destruction of existing collagen is, undoubtedly, central to the deleterious changes observed in aged/photoaged skin. Failure to replace damaged collagen with newly synthesized material is the primary cause of these changes in our skin.
Several studies have shown that collagen has important amino acids and peptides which help slow the aging of your skin by reducing wrinkles and dryness. A scientific review of 11 studies focusing mostly on women found that taking 3-10 grams of collagen per day for an average of 69 days led to improvements in skin elasticity and hydration. The supplement has been shown to work by stimulating your body to promote the production of other proteins that help structure your skin, including elastin and fibrillin.
Collagen turnover is a slow process. As such when supplementing with collagen it will take several weeks to experience noticeable results to allow these proteins to rebuild and restore elasticity. Daily regular supplementation of collagen can not only help reduce wrinkles, but it can also help keep your skin looking more youthful. So, the key is not to wait until your skin ages and wrinkles. If you start taking care of your skin at an earlier age it will keep your skin healthy and youthful.
If you want youthful, glowing skin make collagen the core of your skincare. Some other supplements that will help keep your skin looking beautiful include biotin, vitamin C, vitamin A, zinc, omega 3, selenium, and a native vitamin E will help with slowing down aging.
- Sun exposure is the main cause of premature skin aging. Ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun damage the collagen and elastin in our skin. This leads to fine lines, wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Smoking also speeds up the aging process by constricting blood vessels and reducing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the skin.
- Drink less alcohol because it dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages the skin.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. Findings from research studies also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.
- Exercise. Findings from a few studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. This in turn, may give the skin a more youthful appearance.
Follow these simple tips for beautiful soft, smooth glowing skin…. And most importantly don’t forget to use sunscreen and drink your collagen daily!
Our Collagen + Probiotics features 11g Grass-Fed Bovine Collagen Peptides, 1 Billion Active Probiotics, 1000% DV of Biotin, and 10g of protein! Plus, it's tasteless and easy-to-mix into anything.